75ml sunflower oil
Pinch sea salt
250g tapioca flour or starch
125g of parmesan, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 350 . In a pan, bring the milk, oil and salt to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the tapioca flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon and allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, add the eggs and knead well.
- Add the grated cheese and keep kneading until the dough is smooth.
- Grease your hands with oil and roll into small balls – 1 tbsp per ball.
- Place the balls on a baking tray greased with oil or lined with baking paper and cook in oven for 20 mins or until brown.
Serve warm as they are or with dips. Salsa, cream cheese or even Dulce de Leche all work. We love the caramel against the salty parmesan. See below.
Tapioca flour can be found in most Asian shops and most supermarket World Food aisles. Or so we’re told.
Roberta’s tips on Dulce de Leche Pao de Queijo:
With your hands (not a knife) break the balls slightly, taking care not to split into two halves. Pour in a teaspoon of Dulce de Leche. Eat whole.