Want to know how to get through more restaurants in one day than you could in a year? Head to Islington’s disused Victorian sorting office for a December round-up of London food royalty: Hix, The Modern Pantry, Mishkins, Lucky Chip and Lily Vanilli to name a few, will be selling their wares supported by underground folk collective Woodburner. All washed down with cocktails by booze yoda, Background Bars.
Feast, hosts of The Long Table, Dalston Roof Park and The London Restaurant Festival fame, know their food pop-ups. So revered are their events that I hosted my birthday at the August jolly. Here are some of the best bits, all tried and tested by Little Miss Piggy herself:
Moro. Big sister to our October post, Morito and One of our Favourite Places. In a box for a fiver. Need we say more?
Pizza Pilgrims: Wood fired oven deliciousness.
Patty & Bun Joe. One of Our Favourite Places and the star of my Curb-side cuisine article: Probably the best burger I’ve ever eaten and I don’t underestimate the gravity of such a statement. Just look at it!
Piadina. Essentially a flatbread calzone. Bursting with ingredients you’d expect from an Italian family, minus the yeast. Less yeast = less bloat = more food.
Pink grapefruit, gin and elderflower cocktails from Background Bars. And That Burger again.
Tips for ticking:
- Arrive early so you can fit in lunch and supper, ideally with snacks in between. Cue: Wright Bros. joy.
- Don’t fill up on the cheap stuff – stick with low or no carb options. Make an exception for the Patty & Bun burger… and Pizza Pilgrims. And Piadina.
- Share with friends. Or covetable strangers…
- Cycle there and back. Clocking in extra gym hours may also be advisable.
- Wear thermals. The venue will be heated but it’s December, and it’s a warehouse. Cozy dining is so 2010, yah.
Date: 6th – 9th December. £7.50 or 6 tickets for the price of 5. For tickets and cooks, go to www.wefeast.co.uk
Note: In case anyone’s confused by the Saturday daytime and eve ticket options (as I was), buy the earlier option. To quote the organisers, “you won’t be kicked out”.
Use the handy Share button below to rally your friends via Facebook or Twitter.