‘Tis the season to be jolly… In honour of the impending festivities, I’ve brought you a seasonaly seductive, spiced sauce to dollop on your bird.
Makes: 300g (10 dessert spoons)
½ orange, juice and zest
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ tbsp agave / 1 tbsp brown sugar, or to taste
3 tbsp port
- Put all ingredients, bar the booze, into a heavy based pan and cook, uncovered on a low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 – 20 mins, or when the cranberries begin to burst, add the port and simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Taste – you may want to add more sugar to compensate for the tart cranberries. Or more alcohol…
- You should have a mix of crushed and whole cranberries. Don’t worry if there seems to be a lot of juice, this will thicken as it cools.
- Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Tra la la la la… la la la laaaah….
If you don’t have a zester for the orange, you can also peel thin slices with a sharp knife (taking care to avoid the bitter pith) and finely chop into slivers, or use a grater.
PP: Kcals 19 Pr 2g Carbs 4.1g Ows 3.9g Fat 0.1g Sat Fat 0g Salt trace